Tomatoes contain nutrients that provide a wide range of health benefits. Add some to almost any meal for some extra flavor and a lot of body love!
Here is a list of 10 amazing benefits that tomatoes can provide. Keep in mind that this is ONLY 10 things…there are so many more! Share with us some of the benefits you’ve received from tomatoes!
- Help lower cholesterol: First of all, tomatoes don’t contain any cholesterol, so they don’t add any to your diet. Secondly, they are great sources of fiber and niacin, which have both been shown to lower high cholesterol levels.
- Help lower blood pressure: Clinical research was conducted to show that daily consumption of tomatoes lowered blood pressure in its participants. After 8 weeks, the study resulted in the systolic pressure dropping by 10 points and the diastolic pressure dropping by 4 points.
- Reduce the risk of heart disease: Tomatoes are a great source of potassium, which has been shown to reduce the risk of heart disease. They also provide Vitamin B6 and folate, which are used by the body to convert homocysteine into benign molecules. Homocysteine, when present in high levels, can damage the blood vessel walls and increase the risk of strokes and heart attacks.
- Help protect against cell damage: Tomatoes provide the antioxidant lycopene, which helps neutralize free radicals that can cause cell damage. Free radicals promote diseases such as asthma, colon cancer, atherosclerosis, and diabetes, so high consumption of lycopene has been proven to reduce the severity of all of these illnesses.
- Protect the prostate: Research has shown that consuming tomatoes helps reduce the risk of many types of cancer, including prostate cancer. A particular study revealed that animals on a tomato based diet showed a drop in the risk of dying from prostate cancer by 32%.
- Help regulate blood sugar: They are also a good source of chromium, which has been proven to help people with diabetes keep their blood sugar under control.
- Help reduce migraines: Yet another nutrient provided by tomatoes is riboflavin, which is proven to help reduce the frequency of migraine headache attacks.
- Boost immunity: Experts have credited tomatoes with helping to avoid colds and influenza, especially with males. These common sicknesses are believed by the medical community to be caused by deficiencies in beta carotene and lycopene. Since tomatoes contain both of these, they help the body to build defenses against the common illnesses.
- Provide natural sunscreen: The lycopene found in tomatoes works as a natural sunscreen that protects against UV rays. A study where participants consumed tomato paste for 10 weeks showed that they absorbed 40% less UV rays than the participants who did not consume tomato paste.
- Strengthen bones: A serving of tomatoes is known to provide 18% of the daily amount for Vitamin K, which activates osteocalcin (a protein in bones). Osteocalcin works to Harden the calcium in the bones and make them stronger.
As you can see, tomatoes provide a wide range of benefits to the human body. There are so many other health benefits not listed. They’re not just a pretty, delicious food.